BookClub is an author-led, reader powered platform designed to connect authors to their community of readers through video and audio content. Built with authors and readers in mind, BookClub was created to give authors a space to share more about their books with the people who love them the most - the readers. Through our library of content covering multiple genres, authors will be able to talk about their books over video or live audio, and readers will be able to listen to others discuss books or lead their own book discussions in private or public channels. BookClub gives authors and readers a fresh and entertaining way to have the book discussions they’ll love.
As an early member of the team at BookClub, you will be crafting the technical foundation and building a world-class product. In this role, you will be actively architecting and creating our API. You will be working with Node.js, AWS lambdas, and MongoDB to build a scalable and secure infrastructure. You will also be helping to build best practices and standards to facilitate a growing team.
What you’ll be doing
- Design and architect core services using Typescript and Node.js
- Craft AWS HTTP Lambdas as endpoints to BookClub client applications
- Contribute to best practices, standards and design patterns
- Work closely with frontend engineers, product managers and designers to define and implement user centric APIs
- Utilize mongoose with MongoDB to define schemas, queries and indexes
- Mentor new team members and contribute to the overall skill level and abilities of the engineering team
Who we are seeking
- You are a senior engineer (6+ years) who has architected and built scalable applications
- You’re proficient with one or more languages used for back-end systems: e.g. Node.js, Python, C#, Java
- You have strong experience with MongoDB and noSQL design at scale
- You have experience with AWS Lambdas as HTTP APIs
- You have startup experience or have the desire to gain startup experience, understanding what good architecture looks like at each stage of a startup
- You are a life-long learner who is always seeking to challenge and expand your skills
- You have high emotional intelligence and are comfortable sharing your thoughts and ideas with candor and good intent
What you can expect from us
We know that the success of our mission depends on the success of our team. While we are early stage and scrappy, we work to provide a high-quality employee experience that sets you up to do your best work.
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- The hardware and software you require
- Competitive blend of salary and equity
- Individual autonomy and respect
- Flexible, remote, and family-first work environment
- A learning-first culture that values curiosity and character and strives to enable each individual to grow in their career
We are mindfully determined to build a team that reflects the diversity of our audience, and as a principle are committed toward amplifying the voice and power of marginalized people and groups. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.